If the customer wishes to view or remotely control a chiller equipped with IDEC controls via the IDEC HMI touch screen over a building subnet, the following procedure must be followed.
** DO NOT PERFORM THIS PROCEDURE IF YOU ARE USING MULTIPLE LEGACY CHILLERS THAT ARE NETWORKED TOGETHER FOR MASTER/SLAVE USE. THIS PROCEDURE SHOULD ONLY BE USED ON STANDALONE CHILLERS.
1. While updates are in process power must remain on at all times.
2. In order to proceed, Legacy factory must provide special OEM files for both the HMI and PLC. Once the OEM files are loaded onto the chillers control system, Legacy’s free software update program is concluded. Once concluded, future updates may result in billable programming time.
3. Changes in IP address are tested for HMI/PLC communication only prior to delivery to the customer. Legacy Chiller Systems does not warrant any external networking issues outside the communication between the HMI/PLC. Should the customer require networking support, Legacy will offer such services at a rate of $115.00 / hr.
4.The update procedure below requires steps to be performed in a specific order. PLEASE read these steps carefully and perform them as detailed. Failure to do so could result in corruption of the program requiring a hardware swap.
5. Not all USB (thumb drives) are the same. Quality can vary greatly and there are too many of these drives on the market to test. Legacy factory recommends the SANDISK brand to perform all chiller control updates. The SANDISK brand usb drive can be found at most electronics retailers such as BestBuy and Walmart. We have found in about 20% of the cases that a non SANDISK brand drive is used, the HMI touch screen will not acknowledge drive insertion or produce an error while performing the update. In some (rare) cases, poor quality drives can corrupt the HMI or PLC programming and require a hardware swap.
Custom OEM IP address procedure:
1. Load the HMI.ZNV,PLC.zld and hgauto.INI files provide by Legacy (NOT THE FILES FROM THE WEBSITE) onto a blank USB drive in the root directory.
Important note: Do not modify the files names. Example, in some cases, when Windows displays the “hgauto.ini” file, the “.ini” extension my not be visible. Please do not add the extension.
2. Insert USB drive into the slot provided int he back of the HMI touchscreen. In few seconds, A dialog will pop up. On the upper left of of the dialog box select “Download plc program”.
YOU MUST UPDATE THE PLC PROGRAM FIRST. IF YOU UPDATE THE HMI OR CHOOSE THE “RUN ALL” FEATURE YOU WILL CREATE A HOST COMMUNICATION ERROR THAT MAY REQUIRE PAID FACTORY SUPPORT.
3. Enter passcode: 1122 then press “ENT”.
A. The above procedure will update the PLC’s static IP address. This will cause the update program started step #2 above to freeze. Please allow the process to error out that will take about 90-120 seconds.
B. Once you see the error screen indicating “Error – PLC Communication error” press “ACK at the bottom of the screen the chillers PLC has been updated. The error that you are seeing is normal and expected.
C. At this point you will see a “HOST COMMUNICATION ERROR” on the HMI screen. This error will appear in the center of the screen in about 90 seconds or less.
D. Remove the USB drive from the HMI and turn the main power OFF to the chiller for 8-10 seconds.
5. Turn the power ON to the chiller and quickly insert the USB drive into the HMI. As in step #2 above, the dialog popup will appear. This time you will select “Download HMI program”, enter passcode 1122, press “ENT”. As before, you will get a status bar. The HMI update can take up to three minutes depending on the customization’s that are part of your project.
IMPORTANT NOTE: In some cases, the HMI will not allow the dialog popup to run when the USB has been inserted in the HMO while the “Host Communication Error” is being displayed on the screen. Should this happen, turn the main power to the chiller off, remove the jump drive from the back of the HMI, and perform step #5 above again.
6. Once the HMI program is done loading a status box will open. Press “ACK” at the bottom of the box to return to the HMI home screen.
7. Remove the USB drive and again press “ACK”. You should no longer see a “Host Communication Error” on the HMI as the PLC and HMI are have reconnected.
8. FINAL STEP – Insert the USB drive one final time. And rerun the “Download PLC program” as you did in sets 2 and 3 above. Once done remove the USB drive and press “ACK” in the box. You are done with the update.
Once the updates have been completed, assuming the IP address provided are correct for your network, you should now be able to open Window’s IE or Firefox browsers from any PC on the network, entering the designated IP address for the HMI to get to the HMI login page.
Once on the HMI login page enter:
Once logged in, you can select either monitor or control from the menu on the left.
All Legacy Chiller Systems models with IDEC chiller controls.